It’s that time of the year again. Christmas, parties, food, food, and food again, whether you believe in New Year's resolutions or not... you can’t help but feel the energy of the season.
To get ready for the upcoming year, it is time to reflect back on what the past year has brought us, what we are proud of, what we regret, and overall, what we accomplished.
Here are 5 ways to reset before 2020 comes around.
1. Review and thank the past year
Your achievements, your happy and sad moments, what you discovered, what you created... Basically, what happened in 2019?
Whatever went down in 2019, whether it was the absolute best year of your life... or the worst, take the time you need to thank it for everything it brought you. Even in the worst and most challenging experiences, you still got to learn a lot, and now is the time to acknowledge it.
Here are my past 2 public "years in review" :Journal before 2020.
2. Take some well-deserved vacations
Too often have I changed the year, completely overwhelmed, bringing all of my negativity to the new year... I’m pretty sure I already spent New Year’s Eve working on some projects. Crazy, right?Allow yourself to breathe before the New Year.
Then, As I will tell myself in a few days, please, before 2020 starts, take the time you need to rest, your mind and body. If you have the opportunity to do something really relaxing like a spa or eat a very good meal, then take it! Do everything you need to greet the New Year with a smile on your face, not stress in your veins.
3. Define what you’ll value next year (and plan your goals)
Out of everything you could do next year, what are the things that will make you the most happy? Before the New Year comes around, define the areas that you want to prioritize (family, new business adventure, sport, etc) and most importantly: why.
« When you know your ‘why’ then your ‘what’ has more impact because you’re working towards your purpose. » — Michael Jordan
In these different areas, set ambitious but realistic goals but most importantly, design a system to reach them.How do you plan to reset before 2020?
4. Design a system to reach your goals
I mean... we have all been there, right? At the beginning of the year, you get excited and set 100 pretty and shiny goals, only to realize that you can’t stick to them past February 😅
To prevent that next year, design a system to make them happen no matter what. It could be :
- Turning them into habits (« I will write one article for 10 minutes every morning »),
- Reducing the friction to start them (« Every evening before bed I’ll get my sports clothes ready for the next day »)
- Finding accountability partners: either people that work toward the same goals or someone in your family/friends that can support you.
- Dividing them in chunks. I like the idea of « 12 weeks goal setting » by Muchelle B: which, as you guessed consists of setting goals for 3 months rather than the whole year and working on them during that time.
“You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.” — James Clear
So now, as we reach the end of this article, I’m curious: what about you, how are you going to reset before 2020?
Last updated: 6 months ago